In this lesson pupils will learn about the “Stop, Look, Listen, Think ” sequence and discuss how it can be applied in a range of settings.
They will discuss how distractions such as mobile phones and pressure from peers may cause dangerous situations.
This is lesson plan 1.
- I know the Stop, Look, Listen, Think sequence and safer places to cross the road.
- I know my responsibilities as a pedestrian, a cyclist, a passenger in a car or on public transport.
- I understand the risks and the effects of risky behaviour and can develop strategies to cope with dangerous situations caused by others.
This pack contains everything you need for lesson plan 1, Do you Stop, Look, Listen and Think?
Interactive Kahoot quiz
In this quiz, pupils can test their knowledge of crossing the road safely.
The quiz can be played as a class on a desktop or one mobile phones, simply click on this link, which will take you to the Kahoot! website.
Further resources for this lesson
In this lesson students will learn the importance of speaking up in potentially dangerous situations.
Students will have informal scripts to help them develop confidence, so that they know what to say to challenge people’s attitudes and behaviours.
This is lesson plan 1.
- I know my responsibilities as a pedestrian, a passenger and a future driver and can manage difficult situations with my peers
- I know about issues affecting young drivers – such as peer pressure, speeding, seat belts, inexperience and over confidence
- I have the communication skills that allow me to speak up in potentially dangerous and difficult road safety scenarios to influence a safer outcome
This pack contains everything you need for lesson plan 1, Speak up. Please note that interactive slides are not currently available.
In this lesson, school children learn the Safer Journeys anthem.
To download, click here which will take you to Vimeo’s website. From there, simply click on the ‘Download’ button.
Use these resources to teach pupils the song:
The Safer Journey anthem is also available with Welsh subtitles this is shown below. If you wish to download this version, click here again this will take you to Vimeo’s website. From, there simply click on the “Download” button.
Pupils will learn how to spot different hazards and where it’s safe to cross.